Weight loss can easily be derailed by snacks. I suffer from getting hangry and if I don’t have healthy snacks on hand, then I’m reaching for whatever I can find to keep the beast at bay. I always have a batch of my no bake chocolate chip cookie protein balls in the fridge for before and after workouts and whenever I need a boost of energy.
The protein powder I use smells and tastes so good that I’m always tempted to eat it with a spoon as soon as I open the container. It has an amazing texture and works well in baked goods. If you like healthy, protein packed baked goods, you should also check out my protein-packed peanut butter chocolate chip cookies.
Protein powder is a great alternative when you don’t have time to consume whole food. I typically do my workouts around 5:30 a.m. and something quick, easy, light and filling is exactly what I’m craving when I’m done. Protein after a workout helps preserve muscle mass and encourage muscle synthesis.
Coconut flour is a delicious gluten free flour supplement that is high in fiber, protein, and healthy fats while being low in sugar and calories.
Vanilla extract is chock full of health benefits. Vanilla has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, can support strong, healthy hair, and even prevent acne.
Almond milk is a great dairy-free alternative to cow’s milk and the fortified kind can help vegans get their daily dose of vitamin B12. Almond milk is nutritious, low in calories, high in vitamin D and won’t raise your blood sugar.
Chocolate chip cookies are a dessert classic and creating healthier versions of the traditional recipe is one of my pivotal life missions. These protein balls deliver mini dark chocolate chips in every bite without the guilt.
No bake chocolate chip cookie protein balls
These delicious protein balls are a healthy treat that taste like chocolate chip cookies! They’re easy to whip up and perfect for a post-workout snack or afternoon energy boost.
This recipes makes 18 protein balls.
- 1 cup of coconut flour
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (the brand I use has 25 grams per scoop)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 3/4 cup of organic peanut butter (or nut butter of choice – almond butter, cashew butter or a mixed nut butter would also taste great. If you have a nut allergy, try sunflower seed butter)
- 1 tablespoon of honey or maple syrup (you can use agave for a vegan diet)
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons of almond milk (or milk/milk alternative of choice)
- 2 tablespoons of mini dark chocolate chips
- Mix the coconut flour, vanilla protein powder and cinnamon in a large bowl until well combined with no lumps
- Add the organic peanut butter (or almond butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter or sunflower seed butter), honey (or maple syrup or agave), vanilla extract and almond milk to the bowl
- Stir all ingredients together to get a sense of the consistency. You don’t want it to be dry or too wet, so add more almond milk or coconut flour as required
- Stir in the mini dark chocolate chips until well combined
- Form the dough into balls and store in the refrigerator
To see bonus pictures of our boxer, Buster, with the protein balls, head over to Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn on our post notifications, and show Buster some love with a like or follow!
Note: some of the links on OPwrites.com are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase an item using one of the links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Buster thanks you in advance for supporting his cookie addiction and I thank you for supporting my blog.