Imagine being rewarded after a grueling workout with a strawberry protein shake that tastes like a diner milkshake – now you can be! This strawberry protein shake tastes exactly like an old fashioned diner milkshake and gives me a warm, nostalgic feeling (without the sugar rush). It’s a perfect refreshing treat during the summer and now that I’ve created it, I’m addicted to it!
Since a few of my recent recipes have used bananas (bakery style banana bread donuts, easy frozen dog treats, and coconut flour pancakes), I decided to forgo adding one. However, you definitely could try it out because the only combo rivaling strawberry banana is peanut butter and chocolate! If you do, let me know how it goes.
You can jump to the recipe or read more below. Don’t forget to check out Instagram to see Buster the boxer stealing one of the strawberries! You can also subscribe to our newsletter for bonus content, including a free query letter writing template that I haven’t posted anywhere else.
This recipe is:
- Use a high quality protein powder to ensure your shake tastes amazing. I could eat the one I use with a spoon and even use it for baking (check out my protein cookie recipe for proof)
- If you’re adverse to cottage cheese, I still recommend using it because that’s what gives this recipe the thick, creamy taste. I promise you can’t detect the lumps or taste any hint of cottage cheese flavour. But if you must, sub for coconut oil
- Use a professional grade blender to ensure your shake is smooth. I currently have a Ninja, but dream of the Vitamix – one day!
- Frozen strawberries will help your shake taste like a milkshake sans ice cream. Room temperature would be much less exciting. I recommend using organic if your budget allows as strawberries are on the dirty dozen list
Now let’s drink a strawberry protein milkshake! What food takes you down memory lane?
Strawberry protein shake (that tastes like a diner milkshake!)
This smooth, creamy and delicious strawberry protein shake tastes exactly like an old fashioned diner milkshake. It’s protein-packed, naturally sweet and very refreshing!
The recipe serves 1.
- 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk (or milk/milk alternative of choice)
- 1 scoop of protein powder (I used vanilla)
- 2 tablespoons of cottage cheese (whatever fat percentage you prefer!). If you refuse to eat cottage cheese, try yogurt (dairy free for a vegan diet) or coconut oil
- 6 large frozen organic strawberries
- Optional: add collagen peptides – learn why in my natural hair care guide
- Place all the ingredients into your blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately. That’s it!
To see bonus pictures of our boxer, Buster, and get a sneak peek into my life with James, head over to Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn our post notifications on, and show us some love with a like or follow! You can also join my street team through a private Facebook group with direct access to me (and exclusive content)! This is where my readers become my friends.
Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full legal page here.