Adding high quality protein powder to baked goods is one of my favourite ways to make healthy, wholesome and filling treats. I’ve already shared recipes for no bake chocolate chip cookie protein balls and protein packed peanut butter chocolate chip cookies and I’m excited to bring you a recipe for oatmeal chocolate chip cookie protein balls today. Are you noticing I love cookies and protein balls, especially when combined?
My oatmeal chocolate chip cookie protein balls are packed full of healthy super foods, like ground flax and chia seeds, and still taste like, you guessed it, oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. They are no bake, don’t require a food processor, are free from refined sugar and easy to make gluten free and vegan. Best of all is that they come together in 10 minutes!
As a contemporary romance author, I spend a lot of time in front of my laptop dreaming up new love stories, like Sweet Redemption, the novel I’m currently querying, and The List, the first book in my Bridget Jones’ Diary meets Tinder trilogy. Making healthy snacks in advance is essential at my house so I can grab something quickly without interrupting my writing flow. They are also great pre or post workout or a tasty afternoon pick me up.
In keeping with my kitchen philosophy, all of my healthy creations are easy to make, use simple ingredients, and taste great. Don’t forget to check out my other recipes and visit me and Buster over on Instagram for an extra dose of boxer cuteness and a sneak peek into my life with James. You can follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn on our post notifications, show Buster some love with a like or follow, and subscribe to our monthly newsletter so you never miss a post and are the first to know about giveaways (hint: one is coming soon!).
What is your favourite kind of protein ball? What recipe do you want to see next? Nutella, banana, pumpkin, or chocolate cocoa perhaps? Let me know!
Oatmeal chocolate chip cookie protein balls
These protein balls are a healthy snack that taste like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! They come together in 10 minutes, are loaded with superfood ingredients, freeze well and are the perfect pre or post workout snack or afternoon energy boost.
This recipe makes 18 protein balls.
- 1 ½ cup of steel cut oats (you can use gluten free oats if you have celiac disease or simply prefer a gluten free diet)
- 1 scoop of vanilla protein powder (the brand I use tastes amazing and has 25 grams of protein per scoop)
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup of ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 2 tablespoons of mini dark chocolate chips (you could also use raisins)
- 1 cup of almond butter or nut butter of choice (try cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, or good old fashioned peanut butter)
- 2 tablespoons of honey, maple syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 4-6 tablespoons of almond milk (or milk/milk alternative of choice)
- Optional: if you like a sweeter treat, you can add a teaspoon of birch xylitol or coconut sugar
Pro tip: If you have time, you can refrigerate your dough prior to forming balls for less mess and stickiness. However, if you’re crunched for time, I promise it all comes together if you keep mixing!
- Mix the steel cut oats or gluten free oats, vanilla protein powder, unsweetened shredded coconut, ground flax seed, chia seeds, and mini dark chocolate chips or raisins in a large bowl until well combined
- Add the almond butter or nut butter of choice (try cashew butter, sunflower seed butter, or good old fashioned peanut butter), honey, maple syrup or agave, vanilla extract and almond milk adding more as required to reach desired consistency
- Stir everything until well combined (you can also use your hands since you’ll be rolling them into balls anyway!)
- Form the dough into balls and store in the refrigerator in a sealed container. They keep for about a week, but also freeze quite well!
To see bonus pictures of our boxer, Buster, and get a sneak peek into my life with James, head over to Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn our post notifications on, and show us some love with a like or follow! You can also join my street team through a private Facebook group with direct access to me (and exclusive content)! This is where my readers become my friends.
Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full legal page here.