Vitamin D is important to overall health and immunity, including brain function, and many of us are not getting enough. If you live in a climate with dark winters and you don’t take a supplement, chances are you’re deficient in this critical mineral. Most people practice safe sun nowadays, which of course is important to preventing skin cancer, but it also doesn’t help us get vitamin D naturally.
Why you need Vitamin D…it:
- Helps our bodies absorb and use calcium and phosphorous for strong bones and teeth, which can help to prevent osteoporosis
- Can protect against infections by keeping immune systems healthy
- May help reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases, such as multiple sclerosis and certain types of cancer
When my doctor was figuring out my thyroid condition, he tested me for everything under the sun and found I was severely deficient in vitamin D, which was partly to blame for my brain fog (an underactive thyroid doesn’t help in that regard either). After taking a very high dose of vitamin D for several months (under doctor supervision), my levels are now in the normal range and I’m taking a maintenance dose, which I’ll take for the rest of my life.
- Fish, such as salmon, canned tuna, whitefish, trout, and halibut. James and I eat fish twice per week and I’ve learned many different ways to cook it to prevent boredom
- Supplements, such as cod liver oil pills and vitamin D capsules
- Fortified food, such as certain types of milk, orange juice, and cereal (check out some of my recipes with almond milk, like healthy donuts, cookie protein balls and a healthy strawberry milkshake)
- Cheese (what a great excuse to make lightened up versions of prosciutto pizza and cheeseburger casserole!)
- Egg yolks (avocado toast anyone?)
- Beef liver (poor Buster is allergic to both beef and liver)
What vitamins do you take every day?
To see bonus pictures of our boxer, Buster, and get a sneak peek into my life with James, head over to Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn our post notifications on, and show us some love with a like or follow! You can also join my street team through a private Facebook group with direct access to me (and exclusive content)! This is where my readers become my friends.
Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full legal page here.