Tacos are one of the world’s greatest inventions, so imagine you had a healthy Taco Tuesday recipe that allowed you to partake guilt free! On my journey to become healthier and fitter (check out the recipes from my kitchen and workouts from my living room), creating healthy alternatives for my old favourites was one of the keys to my success. I couldn’t live without donuts, cookies (and more cookies), or pizza and I don’t have to!
If you follow me on Instagram, you know that Buster the boxer is a regular in my feed. He always launches my new recipes, but this time we couldn’t risk it. We recently learned that Buster is highly allergic to beef and while he isn’t a food thief, we didn’t want to take the chance that he would take a bite. So, to support the healthy Taco Tuesday recipe, here is Buster with some vegetables from our garden for your view pleasure:
What is your favourite taco topping?
Healthy Taco Tuesday recipe
Try this easy Mexican-inspired recipe for a Taco Tuesday that’s healthy, hearty and delicious (with just enough kick!).
For the filling:
- 1 pound of lean ground beef (I always use organic – factory farming isn’t cool)
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, chopped
- Optional: 1 jalapeno, minced (the hotter the better in my world!)
For the seasoning:
Skip the sodium-packed seasoning and make your own!
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of onion powder
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- Optional: sprinkle of crushed red peppers
For the toppings:
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 tablespoons of grated cheese (the cheesier the taco, the less healthy it is, so be mindful)
- Easy homemade guac
- Sour cream
- Brown the lean ground beef in a large skillet, removing any excess fat and grease.
- Add the diced onion, chopped red pepper and (if you’re using it) minced jalepano. Continue cooking and then add the chili powder, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, cumin and (if you’re using them) crushed red peppers, stirring until everything is well mixed.
- Add the filling into taco shells (we use sprouted grain) and top to your heart’s content (I highly recommend my easy homemade guac as the perfect pairing – it’s too quick and easy not to make it!).
For bonus pictures of Buster the boxer and a sneak peek into my life with James, head over to Instagram. You can follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn on our post notifications, and show Buster some love with a like or follow. If you subscribe to our monthly newsletter, you’ll never miss a post because you’ll receive our monthly digest and be the first to know about book news and exclusive giveaways.
Note: some of the links on OPwrites.com are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase an item using one of the links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Buster thanks you in advance for supporting his cookie addiction and I thank you for supporting my blog.