Many of us overindulged over the holiday season and perhaps skipped some of our workouts. Three months after Christmas and perhaps you’re still trying to implement healthy habits to shed the weight you gained. I’ve been drinking this green detox smoothie on repeat since January. It tastes like a pina colada and I hope you love it as much as I do!
The holidays shouldn’t be an excuse to eat whatever you want because there will always be something on the horizon whether it’s Christmas, a birthday or event, and it’s the perfect way to create and excuse bad habits. I believe in indulging in moderation, but many people who struggle with their weight aren’t able to do that successfully.
Now that 2018 has come to a close, you can use a brand new 2019 as a way to jump start positive changes – it’s not too late. Just remember, you aren’t suddenly a new person because the calendar changed, so it will be up to you to commit to a resolution (even after it gets hard and a lot less fun) in order to have success.
Drinking a green detox smoothie is a great start! I love vegetables, but even I find it challenging to eat as many as I know that I should be eating. Drinking your greens is easy and delicious and much better for you than most anything else you’ve been sipping on. If green doesn’t do it for you, try my healthy strawberry milkshake recipe instead.
Green detox smoothie
This green detox smoothie is loaded with vegetables, protein and delicious coconut flavour for a refreshing treat or post-workout snack that won’t pack on the pounds.
This recipe makes 2 shakes (James wanted to try one, too, so I doubled up).
- 2 cups of coconut water or plain old H20
- 4 tablespoons of coconut milk
- 2 scoops of vanilla protein powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of cottage cheese or coconut oil if you can’t stand cottage cheese (but please see my pro tip below before deciding as I also hate the lumpiness that is cottage cheese and yet I never make a smoothie without it)
- 2 cups of organic spinach (leafy greens are a heavily sprayed crop, so use organic if your budget allows for it. If you don’t like spinach, try kale!)
- 1 frozen banana (I chop bananas up in pieces and then freeze them for smoothies)
- 1/2 cup of frozen pineapple
Pro tip: using frozen fruit means you don’t have to add ice for a thick, frothy and delicious smoothie texture. The cottage cheese also plays a role (and doesn’t taste like cottage cheese, I promise).
- Put everything in your blender (bonus points for you if you have the Vitamix I covet) and combine until smooth. Serve immediately
What’s your favourite kind of smoothie?
To see bonus pictures of our boxer, Buster, and get a sneak peek into my life with James, head over to Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn our post notifications on, and show us some love with a like or follow! You can also join my street team through a private Facebook group with direct access to me (and exclusive content)! This is where my readers become my friends.
Note: I’m a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read my full legal page here.