All my friends in real life know that banana bread has always been my nemesis. Every time I make it regardless of the recipe I follow, it’s a total disaster. I finally decided to create my own healthy banana bread recipe that is simple and completely foolproof. It doesn’t call for oil, sugar or butter and still tastes amazing.I’ve been in the editing trenches for the last couple of weeks polishing Twist of Fate. My first real deadline with my publishing house hasn’t left me with much time to focus on anything else. We’re planning to welcome a black lab puppy to our family this spring, my 9-5 become a lot busier because I was promoted and now manage a team, and my plan is to get a couple more books out this year. Life is very full at the moment, but I’m grateful for it because it’s all good things!
When every hour in the day is accounted for, it’s critical for me to meal plan and prepare food in advance to stay on track. No matter how busy I am, working out remains a priority, which is easy when my workouts happen at home. Putting myself last was how I gained weight to begin with, so self-care remains at the top of my list!
My regular readers know I love healthy dessert and bananas (see my two ingredient banana cookies, chocolate peanut butter smoothie bowl, gluten free pancakes, green detox smoothie, and bakery style donuts for proof), so it was only a matter of time before I shared a healthy banana bread recipe.
What’s your favourite kind of homemade bread?
Healthy banana bread
This healthy banana bread recipe contains no refined sugar, oil or butter while still tasting decadent. It uses one bowl, is easy to whip up and freezes well.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed (the riper, the sweeter)
- 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter or sunflower seed butter
- 2 large eggs (or flax eggs)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Optional: 1/4 cup of dark chocolate chips, plus 1 tablespoon to sprinkle on top. You could also use walnuts!
- Preheat your oven to 350°F
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with a high heat oil, such as coconut, avocado or grapeseed. I used my Misto for even distribution
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a potato masher and add the cinnamon and nutmeg until well combined
- Add the vanilla extract, nut/nut free butter of choice (almond butter, peanut butter, cashew butter, mixed nut butter or sunflower seed butter), and eggs and beat with an electric mixer until well combined
- Add the coconut flour and baking soda, and continue mixing until just combined – don’t overmix. Stir in the dark chocolate chips or walnuts
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the toothpick you insert in the centre of the loaf comes out clean
- Remove from the oven and allow the bread to cool before removing it from the pan and serving warm (or freezing for a later date)
Do you have any fool-proof family recipes?
To see bonus pictures of our boxer, Buster, and get a sneak peek into my life with James, head over to Instagram. Don’t forget to follow our hashtag #authoropwrites, turn our post notifications on, and show us some love with a like or follow! You can also join my street team through a private Facebook group with direct access to me (and exclusive content)! This is where my readers become my friends.
Note: some of the links on OPwrites.com are affiliate links, which means that if you purchase an item using one of the links, I earn a small commission at no additional cost to you. Buster thanks you in advance for supporting his cookie addiction and I thank you for supporting my blog.